I have been searching for years to find the perfect camel trench coat. "How hard could it be?" You may ask. Unless you live in Texas, finding the perfect trench is a walk in the park. I've abandoned dozens of beautiful camel trench coats from many shops and online. I mourned for some time over one that hung on the same rack at Nordstrom for weeks. I just couldn't do it. I knew it would not receive the amount of use it deserved.
I have not found the right trench simply because we have a mere two weeks of winter in TX, and even less of a spring. Autumn is a figment of our imagination. And as much as I'd love to have that classic frock hanging in my closet for the next spontaneous trip to Europe, my perfect match had yet to be found.
Until this light, breezy number grabbed by attention... at Target, where else? I am a self-proclaimed fan of the WhoWhatWear Collection for life. They make the best clothing Target has ever carried. Lots of versatile items; I love purchasing one or two garments, then suddenly- I have 10+ new outfits. My kind of shopping.
I was inspired by a classic outfit from Cara Delevingne employing a black midi dress underneath a long, draping trench coat. Classic London look. I was about it. Here, I added my own pizazz in the form of a red lip and a color-blocked handbag.
My favorite features of this trench include:
1. lightweight- I wore this trench for the last portion of winter and I'm still going strong in spring. Layer it, or don't.
2. color- I am pretty fair, which is the second reason I haven't found the right frock. Many of the trenches I found were too pink or too light, washing me out. So not flattering. This shade works well for me- rich, yet neutral.
3. no lining- normally, this is something I look for in a coat and refuse to buy one that isn't lined. However, this flowy trench falls just right one me without the structure typically provided by lining.
4. length, sleeves, and collar- the length of the trench forks for me, as well as the ability to roll the sleeves if I want. Also, I love the size and cut of the collar, so classic.
5. it's double breasted- no need to expound here! Looks fabulous open or all buttoned up.